Friday, January 16, 2015

Tom Bache and Kenlyn Scarlet, Tevis 2012


I had a great experience at the Tevis Cup ride, and I'd like to share it with those who are interested. The compressed version is that I'm an old guy (now 69) who has had the good fortune over many decades to do a lot of interesting, challenging, and adventurous things, but Tevis is a very special
experience. Do it if you can!

The Tevis Ride is at a level far beyond that of other Endurance Rides -- the huge numbers involved as riders, volunteers, vets, crews, and spectators; the difficulty of the course and duration of the ride; and the duration and intensity of the overall experience. We spent an entire week with the Tevis
community at Auburn and Robie Park. Do try to spend time in Auburn where people know and support endurance riders. We really enjoyed our time with other riders and their support teams -- great people from around the country and the world.

It's been 4 1/2 years since I first climbed on a horse, and I only started endurance riding 3 1/2 years ago, so my observations are those of a relative novice. Tevis was my first 100. With this caution, I offer some comments about the course and lessons-learned for next time (God willing, there will be
a next time).

Read more: Some reflections on my experience at Tevis Cup 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment